White Gold Vs Platinum – What’s the Difference?

Posted on November 16, 2015 by Jonathon Calleija | 0 comments

This is probably one of the most common questions I receive from customers, there seems to be too much conflicting information out there! Well allow me to put it to rest;

White Gold – Now while some may think that white gold is pulled from the ground like that, its not. It’s a mixture of pure gold(think gold bars!) and a very white metal such a palladium or iridium. The colour created is not pure white, so the piece is then Rhodium Plated, this will eventually wear off which is why lots of white gold rings look a different colour at the bottom.

Recommended for plain wedding bands or any piece of jewellery where no diamond is being set.

Platinum – Think of this as the big brother to white gold! Found naturally in that high white colour, for most jewellery it is 95% pure platinum, the other 5% usually a mixture of palladium and copper, solely for strength.

Platinum excels in holding diamonds, highly recommended for fine engagement rings. Platinum needs no rhodium plating and takes wear significantly better than white gold. However it is the more expensive option.

Make a booking and see the difference for yourself.

Posted in



Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.